Toll-free at 1-877-691-8521
Tap to Call 1-877-691-8521
Child Development Associate
Step Up to Quality
SUTQ Quality Calculator
Local and State Initiatives
Summit County Transition Skills Summary
Stark County Transition Skills Summary Collaborative Project
STARS Supporting Teachers and Ready Students
Power to the Profession
Kinship and Adoption
SPARK Kindergarten Readiness
Find Child Care
Weekly Coffee Hour
Sprout Learning Backpacks
Kinship and Adoption
Car Seat Help
Inspiration Station and Playscape
Great Start for Great Futures
What is SPARK
Enroll in SPARK Today
SPARK Evaluation Results
Bring SPARK to your Community
News and Updates
One Book at a Time
Meet Our Board
Sisters of Charity
Community Impact Stories
Rosetta and Carter
One Book at a Time
Updated at 10/18/2022 10:33:16 AM
The SPARK Recipe for Readiness
What’s different about SPARK? SPARK’s recipe for readiness makes the program highly effective at helping parents and children get ready for school together. SPARK brings together all the elements needed to ensure a child is ready and excited to succeed in kindergarten.
How SPARK Works
SPARK (Supporting Partnerships to Assure Ready Kids) is a parent-focused program for families of three- and four-year-old children. SPARK focuses on strengthening the areas that help children succeed in school: math, early literacy, fine and gross motor skills, and social-emotional development. SPAR...
SPARK Lessons: The Heart of the Program
The Intake Process: We start our SPARK journey by learning about the child from the expert: the parent. During the first two SPARK visits, the parent partner asks about the child’s favorite color, favorite books, and family routines, including screen time, reading time, learning time, and family out...
The SPARK Responsive Services Process
SPARK lessons help children learn letters and numbers, colors and shapes. The program also helps children develop the social-emotional skills they’ll need for school. But any learning and developmental challenges must also be addressed before a child can be ready for school. That’s where SPARK’s res...
SPARK: Highly Effective at Cultivating School Readiness
Because it is grounded in practice-based evidence, SPARK has been designated as a promising practice and included in the Innovation Hub Database of the Association of Maternal & Child Health Programs (AMCHP).An independent evaluation team from Kent State University evaluates program effectivenes...
SPARK: A Lasting Benefit
Every year since 2005, an independent evaluation team has found that SPARK children significantly outscore their non-participating peers in the same classrooms on Ohio’s assessment of kindergarten readiness. That indicates that SPARK children are starting kindergarten ready to learn. But SPARK...
SPARK: Getting Children on Track for Success
Only 40% (or 2 out of 5) of Ohio’s children enter kindergarten ready to learn. The other 60% haven’t developed the fundamental skills they’ll need to succeed. And when a child starts school already behind, there’s very little chance the child will ever catch up. Children who aren’t ready typically ...
Parent Engagement: the Key to SPARK Success
The research is clear: parent engagement is key to a child’s success. “Children are more successful in school when their parents are actively involved in their learning and show an interest in their progress.” Family engagement is also linked with stronger math and reading skills....
Does SPARK Replace Preschool?
Wondering about SPARK versus preschool? Good news: this is not an either/or choice. Choose both! Many children are in preschool several times a week. SPARK lessons are less frequent: the SPARK parent partner visits the family once or twice a month. The programs are complementary; SPARK reinforce...
After SPARK: What's Next?
A smooth transition into the school environment is essential for school readiness. SPARK’s responsive services team helps with the transition into kindergarten by providing information on individual children. Being informed of a child’s needs and progress prepares school personnel to help that...
By using this site, you agree to our